Book of Judges: Lesson 3
Rev. Jeremy Walker
Section 1: The Angel of the Lord Refuses to Help
And an angel of the Lord came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said, I made you
2 And ye shall make no league with the inhabitants of this land; ye shall throw down their altars: but ye have not obeyed my voice: why have ye done this?
3 Wherefore I also said, I will not drive them out from before
4 And it came to pass, when the angel of the Lord spake these words unto all the children of Israel, that the people lifted up their voice, and wept.
5 And they called the name of that place Bochim: and they sacrificed there unto the Lord.
Section 2: The Children That Forgot God
6 And when Joshua had let the people go, the children of Israel went every man unto his inheritance to possess the land.
7 And the people served the Lord all the days of Joshua, and all the days of the elders that outlived Joshua, who had seen all the great works of the Lord, that he did for Israel.
8 And Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of the Lord, died, being
9 And they buried him in the border of his inheritance in Timnathheres, in the mount of Ephraim, on the north side of the hill Gaash.
10 And also all that generation were gathered unto their fathers: and there arose another generation after them, which knew not the Lord, nor yet the works which he had done for Israel.
Important Doctrines Being Taught:
1. God will never break His word.
2. God will hold man accountable for His promises to God.
3. God will not support or help those that are disobedient to Him, especially His own people.
4. God will allow others to use and abuse His people if they bee in disobedience to Him.
5. Being sorry and repentant over
6. Parents are required to teach their children about God, His Word, and their obligation to obey Him so they can be blessed by God.
Questions and Answer:
1. What did God say that He would never break with the Israelites?
Answer: The covenant He had made with them.
2. What two things did God command that the Israelites do?
Answer: The Israelites could not make a league with the people that lived in Canaan, and they were also commanded to throw down the altars of the people that lived there.
3. Did the Israelites do what God had commanded them to do?
4. What was not going to do to the people that lived in Canaan now that Israel had failed to obey God?
Answer: He was not going to drive the people that lived in Canaan out.
5. What were the people of Canaan and their gods be to the Israelites?
Answer: The people would be thorns in their sides and their gods would be a snare unto them.
6. What did the Israelites do when they were told what their punishments were going to be for disobedience?
Answer: The lift up their voice and wept.
7. What did they name the place where the people wept and sacrificed to God?
Answer: Bochim (Which means weepers)
8. What did the people do when Joshua died?
Answer: They went into the land of their inheritance to possess it.
9. How old was Joshua when he died?
Answer: He was 110.
10. What two things did the second generation of children not know?
Answer: They did not know the Lord, nor did they know the works that God had done.